Leela’s Wrist Lojack-a-mator

My girlfriend and I are dressing as Futurama’s Leela and Fry for a halloween party, and so I was tasked with making Leela’s wrist computer thingy aka the gleefully named ‘Wrist Lojack-a-mator’.

The piece would have to be accurate, durable and intended to endure a night of drinking.

I devised to build it from three sheets of foam laminated together with contact cement. I would embed two sausage shaped hoops of wire (left overs from chainmail making) within the foam to offer some shapability(?) and rigidity.

With this done I’ll seal it with plasti-dip, paint it and add details such as the screen and buttons… Also I’ll aid taking the Wrist Lojack-a-mator on and off with a series of elastic straps along the inside…side.

IMG_8279

After cementing the three layers of foam and using the contained wire to shape it into an unclosed cylinder, I dremeled out a shallow recess for the screen to sit in. As you can see I also initially cut in two rings to be the buttons, but as this looked so shite I decided to attach two small foam circles instead.

IMG_8280

I dremeled out the circles with a sanding drum, then tidied them up a bit.

As for the screen itself, I cut out a rectangle of clear acrylic and beveled the corners. To help the screen look a little sleeker I cut a rectangle boarder out of foam to act as a type of piping.

IMG_8276

I then heated shaped the acrylic in my oven and spray painted one side black.

IMG_8287

Voila!

Time for painting. I constructed a small rack for the buttons and piping out of metal wire (I have alot of this stuff…) so they could sit nicely.

IMG_8283

I started by giving everything a few coats of white plasti-dip. I then used some silver foil spray paint and add some black/green for the buttons and piping.

IMG_8294

IMG_8285

Shiny. I should also mention that before painting started, I beveled each end of the piece as can be seen below.

IMG_8284

The last job before fixing everything in place was to implement the straps. I started off by cutting a series of slits down each side of the Lojack-a-mator’s opening. This seemed a bit weak, so I wrapped them in electical tape to add strength. I then cut lengths of stretchy black elastic (that came to keep the rolls of foam tight) and hot glued them along each side of the opening.

IMG_8292

Like so. After this it was simply a case of attaching the screen, piping and buttons to finish the piece off.

IMG_9028

And that’s it, a simple build for a simple piece.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s